Alaska Earthquake Resource Page
Dear Alaskans – The 7.0 earthquake, called the Port MacKenzie earthquake, that occurred on November 30, 2018, caused significant damage to parts of southcentral Alaska, including in the Mat-Su Borough, the Municipality of Anchorage, and the Kenai Peninsula Borough. While I work diligently with the entire Alaska Congressional Delegation to work with the federal government, including FEMA and the SBA to make disaster funds available. This website provides additional resources for state and local entities involved in collecting reports of damage and other needs. If your home was damaged as a result of the earthquake and you need immediate assistance, contact the State of Alaska Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management Individual Disaster Assistance Program at the contact information below. In this time of need, I stand with you and the many Alaskans who have remained resilient throughout this process. Stay strong, Alaska.
To Request Assistance for Disaster Assistance
- Call the State Individual Disaster Assistance Hotline at 1-855-445-7121 or visit http://ready.alaska.gov/
- Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management - How to Apply for Grant Money for Individual Assistance
- FEMA Earthquake Page
- United States Geological Survey (USGS) Resource Page
- University of Alaska Fairbanks Alaska Earthquake Center
- American Redd Cross - Alaska Region
- Red Cross of Alaska
- Food Bank of Alaska
- Food Pantries Anchorage
- Alaska Department of Health and Social Services - Southcentral Alaska Earthquakes Page
General Resources and Information
- Alaska 211 Disaster Services
- Municipality of Anchorage Resource Page
- Alaska Department of Transportation Page
- KTVA Resources Page
- Alaska Department of Administration Retirement and Benefits - Aetna Offering EAP Support Services
- National Association of School Psychologists Natural Disaster Page
- Municipality of Anchorage
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- Kenai Peninsula Borough
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District Earthquake Update
- Anchorage School District Earthquake Updates
- ADN School Resources Page
Alaska now has a Special Enrollment Period for Alaskans affected by the earthquake. To request this SEP for Exchange coverage, individuals impacted by the earthquake must contact the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 or TTY at 1-855-889-4325 and indicate that they were unable to enroll during Open Enrollment due to the earthquake. Learn more about Alaska’s SEP.
United Health Care is offering a FREE Emotional Support Line from Optum to those affected by the earthquake. Individuals can contact the toll-free help line 24/7 at 866-342-6872 to speak to a mental health specialist.
You can call Careline, Alaska’s statewide 24/7 free and confidential crisis line. 1-877-266-4357 (HELP), or text for help at 839863.
FEMA also has a paper, titled Recovering from the Storm Within, which has some advice from those suffereing post traumatic stress or shock symptoms, or even more mild cases of panic or worry.