How will I know that my problem has been resolved?

When an official response is received from the federal agency involved, my office will notify you. Please feel free to contact my office for an update on the progress of your request for assistance.

Can you give me legal advice?

My office is not able to offer legal advice or recommend an attorney. The rules of the Senate do not allow me to intervene in, or influence the outcome of, cases that are under the jurisdiction of any court.

How will you resolve the problem I am experiencing with a federal agency?

Although I cannot guarantee a particular outcome, I want you to know that my staff and I will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response. My staff and I are able to facilitate the processes involved, gain a fair hearing for your case, and sometimes advocate for a favorable outcome.

My brother lives in Texas and is having a problem receiving Social Security benefits. Can you help him?

It is a long standing tradition of congressional courtesy in the United States Senate that each Senator be given the opportunity to serve his or her own constituents. Accordingly, your brother's request for assistance should be referred to the Senators of the state he resides in.

Do I have to submit my request for assistance in writing?

By law, I am required to have a written request before any action can be taken on your behalf. A written request also gives me a clear understanding of the difficulty that you are having interacting with the federal agency involved and the resolution you are seeking.