Energy and Natural Resources Committee Advances 24 Measures
Innovation, Cybersecurity, Lands, Hydro, and CNMI Bills Head to Senate Floor
The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee today held a business meeting to approve 24 energy, lands, and territories bills. After the meeting, U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, thanked her colleagues for their work to develop and report the measures for consideration by the full Senate.
The bipartisan measures reported today include bills to:
- address Northern Mariana Islands workforce needs;
- expedite the approval of small-scale LNG exports;
- boost research efforts at the Department of Energy; and
- facilitate federal land exchanges, studies, and historic sites.
The committee reported a total of 23 measures en bloc by voice vote. One measure, S. 1981, the Small Scale LNG Access Act of 2017, was reported favorably by roll call vote with bipartisan support.
The committee has previously reported over 50 bills that are still awaiting approval on the Senate floor. Murkowski encouraged her colleagues to work with her to expedite the passage of those bills, along with those reported today.
Among the measures reported out at today’s business meeting were:
- S. 2325, to incentivize the hiring of United States workers in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and for other purposes. Sponsored by Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska.
- S. 79, to provide for the establishment of a pilot program to identify security vulnerabilities of certain entities in the energy sector. Sponsored by Sens. Angus King, I-Maine, and Jim Risch, R-Idaho.
- S. 1981, to amend the Natural Gas Act to expedite approval of exports of small volumes of natural gas, and for other purposes. Sponsored by Sens. Bill Cassidy, R-La., John Kennedy, R-La., and Marco Rubio, R-Fla.
- S. 1457, to amend the Energy Policy Act of 2005 to direct the Secretary of Energy to carry out demonstration projects relating to advanced nuclear reactor technologies to support domestic energy needs. Sponsored by Sens. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., Cory Booker, D-N.J., Mike Crapo, R-Idaho, and Jim Risch, R-Idaho.
- H.R. 589/S. 2503, to establish Department of Energy policy for science and energy research and development programs, reform National Laboratory management and technology transfer programs, and for other purposes. Sponsored by Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, Sens. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, and Maria Cantwell, D-Wash.
Murkowski is chairman of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources. Archived video, a full list of reported bills, and a rundown of the business meeting are available on the committee’s website.