Murkowski Shares Message in Honor of Veterans
U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) shared the following message with Alaskans on Veterans Day:
“As an Alaskan, I am honored that over 68 thousand veterans call our state home. We are proud of the men and women in uniform and forever grateful for their service.
“Today we honor all veterans, in Alaska and across the nation, who have answered that call to serve. We thank our veterans for the tremendous sacrifices they have made – serving courageously across America and in wars around the globe, all in defense of our freedom and liberties. As a nation, we are forever grateful.
“Know that here in Washington, I will continue to do all I can to ensure veterans have access to the services and benefits they so deeply deserve.
“While words are never enough to express the gratitude we have for those who have served, I encourage all of us to take a moment to thank the veterans within their community for their courage and willingness to stand for the ideals of freedom we all hold dear.”
Senator Murkowski’s legislative efforts in support of veterans during the 116th Congress:
- Cosponsored the Alaska Native Veterans Land Allotment Equity Act, introduced by Senator Dan Sullivan (R-AK), to ensure the federal government fulfills its decades-old promise to provide allotments to Alaska Natives who served in the Vietnam War. The legislation was contained in Senator Murkowski’s bipartisan lands package comprised of more than 120 public lands, resources, sportsmen, conservation, and water management bills. The bill package passed the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives with overwhelming bipartisan support and was signed into law by the President.
- Introduced the Merchant Marines of World War II Congressional Gold Medal Act to honor the Merchant Mariners who protected our nation during World War II.
- Introduced a resolution urging the U.S. Postal Service to issue a commemorative postage stamp series honoring women veterans of the Armed Forces.
- Introduced the Filipino Veterans Family Reunification Act, a bill that would expedite the visa process for children of Filipino World War II veterans.
- Introduced the Compacts of Free Association Veterans Review Act, legislation which would create a three-year pilot program to provide hospital care and medical services to veterans living in the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia—all countries that have entered into the Compact of Free Association with the United States.
- Introduced the VA Tribal Advisory Committee Act to establish a VA Advisory Committee on Tribal and Indian Affairs which would facilitate communication and understanding between the VA and Tribal governments to better address the unique barriers Native American veterans face when accessing VA services.
- Supported the Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies (T-HUD) Fiscal Year 2020 appropriations bill, legislation that includes funding for the HUD-VASH Demonstration Program to help address housing needs for at-risk and homeless Native Veterans.
- Supported the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations bill for Fiscal Year 2020, legislation crafted by Senator Murkowski as chairman of the Interior Subcommittee, which includes support for the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Healing Arts Program, to help our nation’s wounded and injured service members and their families in their transition into civilian life.
- Supported the Defense Appropriations bill for Fiscal Year 2020 which includes funding to accelerate research into ALS (“Lou Gehrig’s Disease”) causes, cures and therapies due to the VA determining that the presence of ALS in veterans is presumed to be service connected, as they are disproportionately affected by ALS.
- Cosponsored the Creig Sharp Funeral Honors for Veterans Act, legislation introduced by Senator Dan Sullivan, to ensure that all veterans have the opportunity to be considered for full military funeral honors.
- Cosponsored the Pay our Coast Guard Act to ensure U.S. Coast Guard members, and Veterans, are paid during any lapses in federal appropriations.
- Cosponsored the Transparency and Effective Accountability Measures for (TEAM) Veteran Caregivers Act, to help improve the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) caregiver program
- Cosponsored S.1381, a bill to modify the presumption of service connection for veterans who were exposed to herbicide agents while serving in the Armed Forces in Thailand during the Vietnam era.