Second Session of Summer Interns Arrive in Washington, D.C.
Senator Murkowski Welcomes Young Alaskans to Capitol Hill
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski welcomed her second session of summer interns to Washington, D.C. to assist in her office for three weeks. These recent high school graduates of the Class of 2016 will receive a behind-the-scenes look into the operations of a U.S. Senate office by shadowing Murkowski throughout the day, helping with administrative and clerical tasks, and assisting staff with research projects.
“Each summer I look forward to having interns in my office, offering these newly graduated high school students an opportunity to learn more about the United States Senate and the federal legislation that affects Alaska. These young Alaskans arrive in Washington, D.C. full of energy, ideas, and enthusiasm,” said Murkowski. “My staff and I enjoy having interns in our office and greatly appreciate their contributions. I am excited for these young Alaskans to have the same experience I did as an intern in Ted Stevens’ office, learning about the importance of public service.”
The second group of summer interns includes:
- Marissa Olsen – Port Alsworth – Tanalian High School
- Kevin Allen – Juneau – Thunder Mountain High School
- William Pate – Sitka – Sitka High School
- David Courtright – Anchorage – South Anchorage High School
- Rex Miller – Palmer – Colony High School
- Aziza Shemet Pitcher – Homer – Homer High School
- Holly Taylor – Fairbanks – Lathrop High School
- Molly O’Scannell – Anchorage – South Anchorage High School
- Margaret May – North Pole – North Pole High School
- Robin Spaulding – Talkeetna – Susitna Valley High School
Murkowski also selected two Alaskans to serve as this summer's intern coordinators. Andrea Witte and Noam Levenson, both of Anchorage, will continue supervising and counseling the summer interns in partnership with members of Murkowski's staff. Andrea is a pre-med major at the University of Nevada, Reno and Noam will be attending Western Washington University in the fall.