Senate Passes Package of Six ENR Lands Bills
U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, this week secured the passage of six land-related bills through the U.S. Senate, all of which had been favorably reported by the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. Included in the package was S. 2857, the National Nordic Museum Act, which was sponsored by Ranking Member Maria Cantwell, D-Wash, and co-sponsored by Murkowski.
“I thank my colleagues for working together to ensure that we could pass these bills this week,” Murkowski said. “While this was a good step, we have plenty more non-controversial measures that we hope to move in the near future, so our work is far from finished.”
The Senate passed the following bills by unanimous consent. The first three will go to the House of Representatives, while the latter three will go to the President’s desk for signature:
- S. 1692, the National Emergency Medical Services Commemorative Work Act, which authorizes the National Emergency Medical Services Memorial Foundation to establish a commemorative work in the District of Columbia and its environs. Sponsored by Sen. Coons, D-Del.
- S. 2857, the National Nordic Museum Act, which designates the Nordic Museum in Seattle, Washington, as the “National Nordic Museum.” Sponsored by Sen. Cantwell and cosponsored by Sen. Murkowski.
- H.R. 88, the Shiloh National Military Park Boundary Adjustment and Parker’s Crossroads Battlefield Designation Act, which modifies the boundary of the Shiloh National Military Park located in Tennessee and Mississippi, and establishes Parker’s Crossroads Battlefield as an affiliated area of the National Park System. Sponsored by Rep. Blackburn, R-Tenn.-7 (withan amendment).
- H.R. 1397, the George Washington Memorial Parkway Transfer, which authorizes, directs, facilitates, and expedites the transfer of administrative jurisdiction of certain Federal land. Sponsored by Rep. Comstock, R-Va.-10.
- H.R. 1719, the John Muir National Historic Site Expansion Act, which authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to acquire approximately 44 acres of land in Martinez, California, for inclusion in the John Muir National Historic Site. Sponsored by Rep. DeSaulnier, D-Calif.-11.
- H.R. 1900, the National Veterans Memorial and Museum Act, which designates the Veterans Memorial and Museum in Columbus, Ohio, as the National Veterans Memorial and Museum. Sponsored by Rep. Stivers, R-Ohio-15.
Murkowski is chairman of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.