SENATOR MURKOWSKI SUPPORTS DOLE-SHALALA COMMISSION FINDINGS URGING IMPROVEMENTS TO VETERANS HEALTH CARE
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Murkowski today announced her support for the President’s Commission on Care for America’s Returning Wounded Warriors. The commission issued six major recommendations calling for broad improvements to military and veteran health care.
“We must quickly work to ensure that our returning soldiers receive the best possible care,” said Senator Murkowski. “I am committed to enacting reforms that would provide military and veterans with a modern, patient-oriented and navigable health care system.”
The president’s commission, led by former Senator Bob Dole and former Health and Human Services Secretary Donna Shalala, issued six recommendations to provide injured service members better care:
1) Creation of comprehensive recovery plans for injured service members;
2) Strengthened support for the families of servicemen and women;
3) Aggressive prevention and treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury;
4) Restructuring of the disability and compensation systems;
5) Increased communication between the Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs; and,
6) Quality professional support and recruitment for Walter Reed Army Medical Center.