Vice Chairman Murkowski to Hold Media Availability Following SCIA Field Hearing
WASHINGTON, DC – On Tuesday, August 23, 2022, U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Vice Chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Indian Affairs (SCIA), will hold a media availability for reporters in Unalaska on the committee’s field hearing, “Contaminated Land Conveyances: the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, the Detrimental Impacts of Contamination on Native Communities and the Next Steps for Environmental Justice,” including the testimony provided by the following witnesses:
- MR. STEVE COHN, Alaska State Director, Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Department of the Interior, Anchorage, AK
- MR. Carlton Waterhouse, J.D., Ph.D., Deputy Assistant Administrator, Office of Land and Emergency Management, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington D.C.
- MS. LARA BEASLEY, Chief, Environmental Division, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Washington D.C.
- The Honorable Jason Brune, Commissioner, Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Juneau, AK
- The Honorable Vincent Tutiakoff, Mayor, City of Unalaska; Chairman of the Board, Ounalashka Corporation; Traditional Chief, Qawalangin Tribe, Unalaska, AK
- MS. HALLIE BISSETT, Executive Director, Alaska Native Village Corporation Association, Anchorage, AK
Click here for more information about the SCIA field hearing, witnesses or their provided written testimony. The field hearing will begin at approximately 12:00PM AKT on Tuesday, August 23, 2022. A link to listen live to the field hearing may be provided. Confirmation of audio availability will be made closer to the field hearing date. The committee website will continually be updated with information as it is presented.
WHAT: Media Availability
WHERE: City Council Chambers of Unalaska City Hall
43 Raven Way, Unalaska, AK 99685
WHEN: Tuesday, August 23, 2022, at ~2:00PM AKT
If unable to attend the media availability in-person but would like to arrange a phone interview, please call or email Hannah Ray in advance of the field hearing at 907-388-4442 or firstname.lastname@example.org